News

Will Packer Talks About Beyoncé Rejecting His Movie Script Five Times

BY Nii Ogbamey Tetteh March 29, 2025 4:29 PM EDT

Film producer Will Packer has shared the backstory of how he managed to get superstar Beyoncé on his 2009 thriller Obsessed.

Appearing on a recent edition of the show Watch What Happens Live, the Founder of Will Packer Productions revealed that the award-winning songstress rejected the movie script five times before finally agreeing to star in the production.

READ ALSO: Tina Knowles: Beyoncé Mum Ready For Book Tour With Her New Memoir ‘Matriarch’

That notwithstanding, he said the rejections turned out to be blessings in disguise, as they enabled him to rework the original script to perfection.

“Bey taught me a lot about getting rejected because she told me no over and over again when I wanted her to be in that movie.

READ ALSO: Beyoncé Adds News Dates To Cowboy Carter Tour Schedule

“I kept going back and asking again and again and changing the movie to make it something that she could do,” Packer stated on the show.

His persistence led to good results as the film attained remarkable success and became a favourite among the lot at the Box Office.

READ ALSO: Whoopi Goldberg Condemns Author Criticising Beyoncé’s Grammy Victory

“Ultimately, on the sixth time, Beyoncé said yes, and that movie opened at No. 1,” the filmmaker noted with pride.

Obsessed, directed by Steve Shill, also featured Idris Elba with Beyoncé acting with the screen name, Sharon Charles, a fiercely protective wife.

READ ALSO: Cowboy Carter : Shaboozey Speaks About His Relationship With Beyoncé

Will Packer had previously discussed how Beyoncé’s assertive approach to filmmaking, as he continued to use the experience to inspire other creatives.

“She was very stern—and she’s a wonderful human being—but she said, ‘Will Packer, I’m not doing your movie,’” he recounted on a related show called The View.

READ ALSO: Beyoncé’s BeyGood Foundation Supports Families Affected By California Wildfires

“It took me five times because Beyoncé is very particular, but I only needed one yes. Whatever your Beyonce is, keep seeing if there’s a way to adjust and learn from the no,” he noted.

Last month, Beyoncé added new dates to her schedule for UK, US and France as she gets ready to the Cowboy Carter 2025 world tour.

READ ALSO: Tina Knowles: Sad News As Beyoncé’s Mum Loses Home To Los Angeles Fire

Handlers of her trip said the global tour will take off in the US with a four-night residency at Los Angeles’ SoFi Stadium on April 28, 2025.

Her plan includes Chicago and New Jersey before she moves to the UK and Europe. She would later return to the US to wrap up the show in Atlanta.

READ ALSO: This Is How Beyoncé’s Homecoming Documentary Inspired Stormzy

This arrangement notwithstanding, sources close to the singer say five extra stadium dates have been added to the tour, including a fifth and sixth night in London and a third night in Chicago, Paris, and Atlanta.

Face2face Africa | Afrobeatz+ | BlackStars

Keep Up With Global Black News and Events

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest updates and events from the leading Afro-Diaspora publisher straight to your inbox, plus our curated weekly brief with top stories across our platforms.

No, Thank You